We have chosen a Cockapoo as an appropriate breed of dog for the school. The breed has been carefully selected because of its ideal temperament.
The children were introduced to Cooper in an assembly at the beginning of January 2019. In a follow up assembly we discussed the rules and expectations about having a school dog and we also talked about many of the benefits too.
- a calming effect on pupils
- improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem
- encouraging expression, participation and confidence for all children
- fostering a sense of responsibility
- motivating pupils to think and to learn, as most children have a high level of natural interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals
- encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers
- teaching children to nurture and respect life
- helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children
- helping children build confidence in reading
- further promote our ‘Well Being’ agenda for pupils.